2025 Sustainability Goal:
Leading the Blueprint
We will lead in developing societal blueprints that integrate public policy solutions, science and technology, and value chain innovation to facilitate the transition to a sustainable planet and society.
A Sustainable Future for All
Can you imagine a future where businesses, governments, and society work together to advance solutions that preserve our planet and ensure a sustainable future for all?
But we know that business as usual cannot achieve this future. Our interconnected world requires a collaborative approach to sustainability, combining meaningful actions at local and global levels. Collaborations in new and meaningful ways are the path forward to a sustainable planet.
From Footprint to Handprint to Blueprint
Dow’s sustainability journey has evolved from focusing on operational efficiency (Footprint), to product solutions to world challenges (Handprint), to recognizing that only through collaboration can we join others to accelerate the progress toward a sustainable planet (Blueprint).
Blueprints for a Sustainable Planet
Dow’s blueprints for a sustainable planet are aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and are a collection of best practices and effective collaborations addressing the most pressing global challenges today. Currently, we are working on blueprints in water, low carbon economy, workforce development and plastic packaging that reflect our experiences and collaborations to address these challenges. There is much to learn and much to share.
We know there are others who share this blueprint vision. We want to join existing conversations and convene new ones on how we as companies and organizations can accelerate sustainable practices by collaborating on blueprints for a sustainable planet.
Measuring Our Progress
- Develop a pipeline of blueprints in which Dow can make an impact
- Creation of at least five blueprints
- Development of a metric to evaluate our impact in fostering collaborative action towards a more sustainable planet
- Monitoring and updating our blueprints to reflect ongoing conversations
The development and creation of blueprints is fully iterative, and blueprints evolve as conversations are convened and collaborations started. We will update our milestones as we progress on developing Dow’s Blueprint Goal.
- Creation of screening criteria of blueprint topics in 2017
- Soft launch of the Water blueprint at the World Water Forum in Brazil in March 2018
- Full launch of the Water blueprint at the High Level Political Forum in New York in July 2018
- Set up working groups to develop the Plastics, Workforce Development and Low Carbon Economy blueprints in 2018/2019
As Dow joins or convenes new conversations and collaborations, we will include them here along with other actions that may lead to future blueprints.
- Dow, the World Environment Center (WEC) and the Erb Institute at the University of Michigan co-convened high-level workshop on corporate sustainability
- Dow, University of Michigan, Delta College Collaborate to Create New Innovation and Education Hub in the Great Lakes Bay Region
- Dow and State Key Laboratory of Environmental Criteria and Risk Assessment Sign Memorandum of Understanding in China
- Dow Solutions to Power New International Olympic Committee Headquarters
- Dow and the U.S. Green Building Council will work together to support sustainable cities and promote energy efficiency
- Dow and the University of Michigan are collaborating to form new leaders in sustainability through the Sustainability Academy program
- IOC names worldwide top partner Dow as official carbon partner
- In Terneuzen, The Netherlands, Dow engaged in local partnerships to enable an innovative solution to reuse the municipal water in our industrial processes
- Dow and The Nature Conservancy (TNC) have a long lasting collaboration established in 2011 to incorporate the value of ecosystem services into business decision making