Dow Wins Record Five 2019 Edison Awards for Breakthrough Technologies
MIDLAND, Mich. - April 08, 2019 - Five breakthrough technologies from Dow were recognized with prestigious Edison Awards on April 4, 2019, setting a record for the company. The winners, selected from thousands of nominees, were announced at the annual Edison Awards Gala in New York City. Dow received two gold, two silver and one bronze award in categories ranging from clean manufacturing to coating and packaging materials. The Edison Awards honor excellence in new product and service development, marketing, human-centered design, and innovation.
“These five Edison Awards, recognizing innovations from the new Dow, demonstrate the vibrancy of our markets and strength of our R&D efforts. The awards cover a diverse group of technologies from across our portfolio of businesses,” said A.N. Sreeram , senior vice president, Research & Development, and chief technology officer for Dow. “We have the people and the tools to continue the proud history of innovation at Dow. Winning a record five awards demonstrates the power of our innovation engine as Dow accelerates into the future. Like Edison in his time, our research is customer focused – solving customer and societal needs and creating value for our shareholders.”
Learn more about Dow’s award-winning technologies below:
- Gold to ENGAGE™ PV Polyolefin Elastomers : As the global photovoltaic (PV) market continues to grow, material selection can be a critical component in the ongoing success of PV module manufacturers. ENGAGE™ PV Polyolefin Elastomers (POEs) help make the choice for PV encapsulant films easier with opportunities for exceptional long-term performance, reliability, and lower overall energy cost.
- Gold to Tenter Frame Biaxially Orientable Polyethylene Resin : Tenter Frame Biaxially Oriented Polyethylene (TF-BOPE) film is an innovative and revolutionary addition to the INNATE™ Precision Packaging Resin family. It provides higher mechanical properties and material rigidity, along with better optical and printing performance. Compared to traditional polyethylene (PE) products, TF-BOPE can achieve up to 80% less haze, twice the impact strength, twice the tensile modulus, three times the puncture resistance, and three times the tensile strength.
- Silver to ECOFAST™ Pure Sustainable Textile Treatment : ECOFAST™ Pure is a breakthrough technology that enables unique, brighter colors on cotton textiles while helping address sustainability challenges in the industry, including quality and consumption of water. This patented technology reduces water, dye, energy and chemical use in the dyeing process and meets the ZDHC Roadmap to Zero Programme standards. ECOFAST Pure is compatible with reactive, direct and acid dyes and can be applied to knit and woven fabric, denim and garments.
- Silver to VORARAD™ Downhole Radium Sequestration Technology : Hydraulic fracturing has increased access to crude oil and natural gas from deep shale reserves, but the process usually requires pumping up to 6 million gallons of water into each well. VORARAD™ technology uses resin-coated sand to fuse proppant particles together and inhibit harmful isotopes, like radium, from rising to the surface, improving the safety and sustainability of hydraulic fracturing.
- Bronze to OPULUX™ HGT is a solvent-based coating for flexible packaging. Because of its superior heat resistance, it enables users to simplify and redesign packages by eliminating some lamination layers and promoting the use of mono-material, recyclable packages. OPULUX™ HGT also provides high-gloss performance to enhance graphics and improve window clarity.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines one of the broadest technology sets in the industry with asset integration, focused innovation and global scale to achieve profitable growth and become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company. Dow’s portfolio of performance materials, industrial intermediates and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for our customers in high-growth segments, such as packaging, infrastructure and consumer care. Dow operates 113 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 37,000 people. Dow delivered pro forma sales of approximately $50 billion in 2018. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.