Procter & Gamble’s recyclable box for liquid laundry capsules wins Diamond award in the 2022 Packaging Innovation Awards by Dow for its sustainable and accessible design
Winning entries represent wide range of packaging innovations for diverse applications
MIDLAND, Mich., – February 8, 2023 – Dow (NYSE:DOW) announced the winners of the 2022 Packaging Innovation Awards in a virtual unveiling ceremony on February 2, 2023. The independent panel of judges reviewed more than 170 packaging submissions from around the world with the goal of showcasing breakthrough packaging designs based on three criteria: technological advancements; user experience; and sustainability impact. After thorough evaluation, the judges selected 28 packages that demonstrated excellence in at least one of the criteria areas.
To receive the top honor, the Diamond Award, a package must demonstrate excellence in all three criteria. This edition’s Diamond Award winner was the Procter & Gamble (P&G) ECOCLIC® Box for Liquid Laundry Capsules. The patent-pending cardboard packaging is made with FSC-certified materials and a minimum of 70% recycled fibers; it is also recyclable in curbside paper collection streams. Its dimensions and design allow for 50 percent more packs per pallet and reduces the number of trucks within P&G facilities. The package is certified child safe and designed with inclusivity in mind. It responds to consumers insight that dexterity issues have made existing laundry tubs difficult to open. The pack went through rigorous testing with more than 2,000 consumers, including parents, people with dexterity limitations, and those with sight and cognitive impairments. Test participants responded positively to the ease of opening, the box quality and the reassuringly loud ‘one click’ closure, signaling the pack is closed.
Moustafa ElMihy, R&D SUD Packaging and Product Research Director at P&G noted, "Sustainable packaging innovation should always come with delightful consumer experience."
In addition to the Diamond Award winner, 27 other inspiring projects were recognized with Platinum, Gold, or Silver awards. Each award distinction represents the number of criteria met and level of excellence.
The full list of winners includes:
- P&G ECOCLIC® Box for Liquid Laundry Capsules by Procter & Gamble
- Side Gusseted Flat Bottom (3D) Pouch for Rice by Integrated Plastics Packaging
- 3M Scotch™ Cushion Lock™ Protective Wrap by 3M
- EcoTec Recyclable Packaging for Pet Food by PLASTIANDINO S.A.
- High-Barrier Polyethylene Spouted Pouch for Beverages by Scholle IPN
- SoFresh Active Packaging for Bread by SoFresh, Inc.
- Air Capsule E-Commerce Package by Procter & Gamble
- Veja Power Nature Refill Cpasule by Reckitt
- Lenor In-Wash Scent Booster Cardboard Pack by Procter & Gamble
- Lightweight Pillow Pouch for Nutramilk Soymilk by PACKAGING INDUSTRIES LIMITED
- Caps made with PCR Polypropylene from Flexible Waste by Unilever
- Seda Bottles made with 100% HDPE PCR by Unilever
- EnviroServe™ Leafy Greens PET Trays with SmartSeal® FRESH Lidding Films by Sonoco
- Corrugated Box with Built-In Secondary Use by Stora Enso
- Recyclable Packaging for Direct-To-Consumer (D2C) Nuts by Constantia Flexibles
- Pampers Knifeless Opening Box by Procter & Gamble
- Matte-Finish 100% Polyethylene Lamination for Pet Food Packaging Designed to be Recycled by Folmex
- Occo Recyclable Spice Pods by Fuseno
- ProActive Recyclable® Paper Sachet for Purition Single-Serve Nutritional Powder by ProAmpac
- LifeSpan Copper Based Film by Amcor
- Bag-In-Box with Zip Lock (BIBZip) by Emami Agrotech Ltd.
- Danoninho Ice Yogurt Pouch with Convertible Design for Liquid or Frozen Consumption by Amcor Flexibles and Gualapack
- Recyclable Heinz Beanz Snappots made with Recycled Plastics by The Kraft Heinz Company
- Hexabag+ 2-in-1 Valve Bag by Imballaggio
- Recyclable and Label-Less Danacol Bottle by Graham Packaging
- Simple One Lightweight Recyclable Plastic Refill Bottle by ALPLA
- Natural CPET Tray with PCR by Sonoco
- Recyclable Matte-Finish Transparent Pouches for Tea by Constantia Flexibles
"Consumers demand that today’s packaging will reduce waste and minimize environmental impact with innovative designs that are both user-friendly and planet-friendly," said Karen S. Carter, president, Dow Packaging & Specialty Plastics. “The Packaging Innovation Awards is more than just a competition. It is a source of inspiration and motivation to exceed customers’ and consumers’ expectations in all dimensions of packaging performance. The entries this year rose to the challenge and raised the bar."
The awards experience
“Even after more than 30 years of this competition, we continue to see truly innovative packaging designs that push us toward more sustainable solutions with the end user in mind,” said lead judge
David Luttenberger, global packaging director for Mintel Group, Ltd. “This year’s Diamond winner is a perfect example of just that. On one hand, P&G’s cardboard box for liquid laundry capsules can be recycled in curbside streams and is also made from recycled fiber. On the other hand, it was designed with an important consumer insight in mind to make the product more accessible.”
The awards continue to recognize world-class packaging solutions that demonstrate technological advancement, responsible packaging, and enhanced user experience. We encourage everyone in the industry to participate in the next edition of the Packaging Innovation Awards. More information will be posted online and on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth; asset integration and scale; focused innovation and materials science expertise; leading business positions; and environmental, social and governance leadership to achieve profitable growth and help deliver a sustainable future. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company in the world. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated, science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer applications. Dow operates manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 37,800 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $57 billion in 2022. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.comor follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
For further information, please contact:
+52 551 930 3226