Dow introduces new high-performing and sustainable technologies to serve the beauty and personal care market at in-cosmetics Global 2022
Dow Personal Care will unveil five new technologies and their ECOllaboration Concepts Collection to address the growing consumer demands for sustainable and inclusive solutions
MIDLAND, Mich. – March 29, 2022 – Dow (NYSE: Dow) will showcase a host of innovative technologies in its expanded personal care portfolio at in-cosmetics Global 2022, taking place in Paris, France from April 5-7 (booth F80) and virtually April 11-22. The series of Dow product launches, as well as its brand-new ECOllaboration Concepts Collection, will bring to life best-in-class examples of how innovative formulations help satisfy the global search for more sustainable cosmetic ingredients.
“Our latest bio-based product launches are the perfect marriage between our scientific expertise and the need for sustainability solutions; they shine a light on how we continue to be trendsetters in developing innovative ingredients to support formulators creating personal care products that make a difference and delight consumers,” said Isabel Almiro do Vale, Global Strategic Market Director of Dow Personal Care. “By expanding Dow’s portfolio, we continue to prioritize solutions that don’t compromise on performance and are always backed by science, as well as deliver on our promise for more sustainable and inclusive beauty solutions.”
With deep consumer knowledge, a strong expertise in regulatory compliance, and one of the broadest portfolios in the Personal Care industry, Dow’s product launches are uniquely developed and aligned with the latest beauty trends from around the world. The ingredients being introduced today provide superior and multi-functional benefits across both hair and skin care formulations.
Four of the new product launches cover skin and hair applications and are part of Dow’s new ECOllaboration Concepts Collection, which focuses on the three key pillars of natural beauty: ecology, economic development, and eco-conscious mindset. This collection will be introduced at this year’s show to highlight Dow’s new bio-based innovative ingredients and eight pioneering formulations, developed to inspire brands and help them serve consumers in line with industry trends. The ECOllaboration Concepts Collection aims to empower customers around the world to create personal care solutions with outstanding performance that achieve a minimum natural origin content of 90% and are both inclusive and safe for people and the planet.
The six new featured trade products include:
- MaizeCare™ Clarity Polymer: This unique corn-based ingredient enables the formulation of crystal-clear hair styling formulations while offering versatility from low to high hair fixation, consistent curl retention, and new and desirable compatibility with carbomer. In addition, it is bio-based and biodegradable with film-forming properties that provide a non-tacky feel at touch when styling. Céline Lévénez-Bougaran, Senior Technical Service and Development Specialist at Dow, will be presenting on April 5th at 10:15 a.m. in the Sustainability Corner on the newest hair care launch, MaizeCare™ Clarity Polymer.
- DOWSIL™ 979 Emulsion: Developed with a sustainable focus, low cyclics content, and lower ecotoxicity than many of the emulsions containing quaternary-based surfactants, this product delivers the high-performance benefits of an amino silicone emulsion, like reduced friction, enhanced dry or wet combing and restored hydrophobicity, as well as color protection and reduced hair breakage. Its versatility allows it to be used in conditioners, leave-in, and shampoo formats, meaning one single product with multiple benefits for a complete hair care routine. DOWSIL™ 979 Emulsion has been nominated in the Innovation Zone Functional Ingredient Award category.
- EcoSmooth™ Rice Husk Cosmetic Powder: Upcycled from non-GMO natural sources, this white silica powder delivers a unique sensorial experience and optical benefits like blurring imperfections and mattifying the skin due to its higher sebum absorption compared to other cosmetic powders. A must add to many common skin care, color cosmetics, and hair care formulation types used today, and particularly relevant for natural-oriented positioning.
- EcoSense™ SL-60 HL Surfactant and EcoSense™ SL-60 HA Surfactant: These two new sophorolipids are bio-surfactants that enable the creation of highly desirable mild cleansing products. Shampoo, face wash, body wash, and leave-on products like body lotion can feel even more comfortable on the skin and scalp. In formulation, these sophorolipids can also provide stability due to their emulsification properties. As bioderived and readily biodegradable materials, EcoSense™ SL-60 HA Surfactant and EcoSense™ SL-60 HL Surfactant are an excellent fit to minimize environmental impact without compromise on performance.
- EcoSmooth™ Universal Fluid 1100: This is a novel cosmetic carrier fluid containing 100% renewable carbon-sourced as by-products from wood and sugarcane production. Its unique polarity results in a broad compatibility profile, thus permitting novel natural-based formulations focused on delivering fragrances, cosmetic actives, and sunscreens. In addition to being sourced from sustainable feedstocks, EcoSmooth™ Universal Fluid 1100 is biodegradable and has a good safety profile, making it the ideal carrier for the formulation of very high naturally index leave-on skin products including facial care, body care, and color cosmetics.
“With consumers increasingly expecting companies to offer safer and sustainable cosmetics formulations, we continue to prioritize the next generation of formulations that deliver top-level performance, while achieving at least 90% of the natural origin content in each prototype,” said Sandro Sato, Dow Global Segment Leader Sensory. “At in-cosmetics Global, customers will see firsthand how we’ve fostered the need for sustainability, inclusion, and performance in the Personal Care industry with our expanded portfolio through our immersive booth experience.”
Dow regulatory experts and scientists will be available at in-cosmetics Global 2022 to discuss how to leverage brand opportunities in formulating new products in a complex regulatory and certification-driven environment. Dow can support formulators through collaboration and applying its strong market knowledge to foster a more sustainable future together while staying ahead of industry trends. To learn more about Dow’s innovations, visit the Innovation Zone and Sustainability Corner, and meet with Dow experts at booth F80 or during the virtual event.
About Dow Personal Care Solutions
Dow Personal Care offers unique, innovative ingredients that empower customers around the world to create products with exceptional performance and exciting benefits that consumers can trust and believe in. Consumers that seek the confidence of a healthy appearance can see and feel the difference in our products through their lustrous hair or radiant and protected skin. We leverage our understanding of customer needs, deep market knowledge and technical expertise—combined with one of the broadest portfolios of technologies—to deliver personal care solutions with outstanding performance that are safe for people and the planet. We foster these innovations on global and local levels to meet the needs of diverse consumers through business centers, research and development (R&D), manufacturing plants and customer applications centers around the world. Please visit www.dow.com/virtual/beautyexperience/.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth; asset integration and scale; focused innovation and materials science expertise; leading business positions; and environmental, social and governance (ESG) leadership to achieve profitable growth and deliver a sustainable future. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company in the world. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated, science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer applications. Dow operates 104 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $55 billion in 2021. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
For further information, please contact:
Marie-Mé lanie Levecq
+32 471 33 20 78