MIDLAND, MI – Nov. 18, 2020 – Dow (NYSE: DOW) announced today that it is investing more than $5 million to Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) for programming, partnership and support to enhance the Black STEM talent pipeline.
Dow is proud to partner with and support the following HBCUs with this investment:
- Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, Florida
- Howard University in Washington, D.C.
- North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, North Carolina
- Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas
- Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Representation and diverse perspectives are key drivers for innovation and business success,” said Karen S. Carter, chief Human Resources officer and chief Inclusion officer, Dow Inc. “This investment shows our commitment to strengthening and diversifying the American manufacturing and STEM pipeline and attracting a workforce equipped to lead our Company into the future.”
This investment is seeded by an initial $500,000 contribution in 2020 as part of the Dow ACTs commitment designed to address systemic racism and inequality in the areas of advocacy, community and talent. The company is investing an additional $4.6 million to expand support through 2024 in the following areas:
- Investing to inspire and attract underrepresented minorities to STEM disciplines by supporting STEM programming, including a partnership and additional $250,000 grant to Project Lead The Way in support of the development of teachers and students at schools near our HBCU partners.
- Investing to retain and develop Black students in STEM by developing curriculum and supporting sustainable chemistry, green chemistry and functional disciplines, such as supply chain, finance and engineering.
- Investing to build the Ph.D. pipeline of Black student talent by supporting undergraduate, graduate, and faculty research programs. This includes funding year-long research experiences, providing Dow mentors, networking opportunities with graduate schools and exposure to industrial research.
- Investing in the Future of STEM Scholars initiative (FOSSI) by underwriting the education of ten students per year pursuing STEM degrees at HBCUs. Funding will provide scholarships, mentoring opportunities, and internship placements.
A fully inclusive workplace and world is imperative to effectively doing business as a global company. Dow continues to champion inclusion, diversity and equity; and through our partnerships, we aim to expand opportunities and provide support to those pursuing STEM careers.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth, asset integration and scale, focused innovation and leading business positions to achieve profitable growth. The Company’s ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company. Dow’s portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure and consumer care. Dow operates 109 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 36,500 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $43 billion in 2019. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
For further information, please contact: