Go electric with Dow at The Battery Show North America
Midland, Mich.,-- Date – From September 13-15, 2022, Dow (NYSE: DOW) will be at The Battery Show North America in Novi, Michigan to highlight the full range of MobilityScience™ technologies for electric vehicle (EV) battery systems and power electronics.
“As the transportation industry prepares for a more electric future, we’re here to support OEMs and suppliers by providing customizable materials science solutions that drive towards low carbon mobility and enable safer, more reliable and higher performing batteries,” said Brian Russell, market manager for Dow Performance Silicones. “Whether it’s a material for battery pack assembly, battery fire protection, assembly and protection of battery management systems or power electronic devices, we can work together to identify the best solution to meet your needs within our broad MobilityScience™ portfolio.”
Technologies to keep you on the move
Dow will be launching six technologies for the North American market at the show:
- DOWSIL™ TC-5533 Gap Filler: DOWSIL™ TC-5533 is a two-part (1:1) soft thermally conductive silicone gap filler designed to dissipate heat and relieve stress between the battery modules and the cooling plate to prevent thermal events. This new technology also offers long-term performance stability during temperature and humidity cycling, controlled siloxane volatility, low assembly/disassembly forces and a wide application process range with low abrasion.
- DOWSIL™ EC-8425 Electrically Conductive Adhesive: DOWSIL™ EC-8425 is an electrically conductive adhesive for grounding, bonding and electromagnetic shielding applications with durable mechanical and conductive properties and reliable performance under high temperatures and vibration. An adhesive with elastomeric characteristic for stress relief, DOWSIL™ EC-8425 can be used in electrical connections and as a solder replacement.
- VORATRON™ Adhesives 8200 Series: The VORATRON™ 8200 series provides optimal bonding power to meet the most demanding performance and quality needs for the many designs of cells and batteries. These high-performing adhesives can be used today to bond cell-to-modules and cell-to-pack and as the product line expands this technology will also enable cell-to-chassis bonding.
- VORATRON™ Gap Filler 1000 Series: VORATRON™ 1000 is a series of two-part (1:1) thermally conductive polyurethane gap fillers designed to achieve very low squeeze force levels and provide safe handling and usage during dispensing and processing. Its low density also helps deliver the added benefit of lightweighting.
- VORATRON™ Pottants EY-708 & EP-516 Series: The VORATRON™ EY-708 and EP-516 Series of pottants enable protection for both individual cylindrical cells and the entire battery in the case of a thermal event. These low-density foam pottants attribute to lightweighting in vehicles and are designed to offer fire protection, vibration absorption, thermal insulation and structure to the battery and cells.
Additionally, attendees will be able to learn about Dow’s complete portfolio of silicone solutions for battery fire protection, including encapsulants, silicone foam sheets, fire-resistant rubbers and gaskets. These technologies are designed to help prevent thermal propagation and limit the spread of a thermal event in EV batteries by enabling greater flexibility, durability, thermal resistance, and improved lifetime of the battery.
“The road ahead for the transportation industry is going to be paved with innovation and it’s of the utmost importance that technology for EV batteries is front and center,” said Dr. Esther Quintanilla, global market leader for Dow Polyurethanes. “Stop by Booth 1801 during The Battery Show North America to learn more about our range of polyurethane and silicone solutions and how we can collaborate to ensure the EV batteries of the future are more sustainable, safer and made to last.”
Innovation on Display
Racing and non-racing fans alike will be able to explore Jaguar TCS Racing’s I-TYPE 5 race car at Dow’s booth. The all-electric Jaguar I-TYPE 5, which features Dow thermal management solutions within its powertrain, was driven in Season 8 of the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship by Jaguar TCS Racing drivers, Sam Bird and Mitch Evans. As the Official Materials Science Partner of Jaguar TCS Racing, Dow is able to bring its materials science expertise to the Jaguar TCS Racing team, tapping into the power of Formula E as an accelerated feedback loop, a real-world test bed, for the EV technologies that will shape a low-carbon future.
Also on display will be a full battery mockup as well as Dow’s interactive MobilityScience™ touchscreen display. The battery mockup will allow attendees to experience first-hand how Dow’s technologies perform across different battery designs, including prismatic, pouch and cylindrical cells, while the touchscreen display will bring to life all the ways Dow technology can be incorporated into a vehicle, from the interior and exterior to under the hood.
Dow experts will share technical, product-focused and industry insights during the following presentations:
Tuesday, September 13
- 1:00 – 1:45pm: Silicone Material Solutions for Battery Fire Protection
- Craig Gorin, Research Scientist, Dow
- Patrick Hanley, Associate Research & Development Director, Dow
- 2:30 – 3:15pm: Advanced Conductive Composites for Effective Thermal Management
- Joe Sootsman, Senior Application Scientist, Dow
Thursday, September 15
- 2:30 – 3:00pm: US Charging 2.0: Reviving Our Public Charging Infrastructure
- Brian Chislea, Associate Technical Service and Development Scientist, Dow
- Brian O’Leary, Global Head of E-Mobility and Infrastructure, Indium Corporation
- Debbie Carboni, Global Product Manager, KYZEN Corporation
For more information about Dow at The Battery Show North America and to request a meeting, please click here.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth; asset integration and scale; focused innovation and materials science expertise; leading business positions; and environmental, social and governance (ESG) leadership to achieve profitable growth and deliver a sustainable future. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company in the world. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated, science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer applications. Dow operates 104 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $55 billion in 2021. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
For further information, please contact:
+1 989 965 5001
+1 989 636 8480