O F Packaging’s curbside recyclable stand-up pouch wins Diamond honors in the 2021 Packaging Innovation Awards by Dow
Winners represented best-in-class sustainability-focused innovations for diverse applications
HORGEN, Switzerland – March 31, 2022 – Dow (NYSE:DOW) announced the winners of the 2021 Packaging Innovation Awards in a virtual unveiling ceremony on 31st of March 2022. For over three decades, the Packaging Innovation Awards have recognized outstanding packaging projects from around the globe, showcasing the most innovative breakthroughs based on the criteria of sustainability, technological developments, and enhanced user experience.
This edition’s highest recognition, the Diamond Award, went to O F Packaging and its Brookfarm curbside recyclable, high-barrier stand-up pouch, which demonstrated excellence in all three judging criteria. O F Packaging were given a challenge by their client Brookfarm to create a high barrier packaging structure to protect their muesli and granola products that can also be recycled through curbside recycling. The innovative Roll ‘n’ Recycle® packaging was created in close collaboration with their partners PREP Design and Results Group.
“Recovery of end-of-life packaging can be challenging. Flexible packaging is typically not easily recognized by material recovery machines and hand picking such materials is difficult if not impractical,” explained Joe Foster, CEO of Close the Loop Group and Managing Director of O F Packaging. “It took a lot of involvement from our team and partners, along with more than 12 months of hard work and testing to make this new packaging a reality. Recycling packaging often starts at home, so our solution enables consumers to transform the empty, 100% polyethylene flat packaging into a 3D shape, suitable for their recycling bin so it’s ready for recycling through existing processes. It is a great honor to receive the Diamond Award and we are very thankful for this recognition by industry professionals from across the globe.”
A group of independent judges from 7 countries and representing more than 300 years of combined industry experience, evaluated 189 submissions from companies all over the world, and packaging projects ranging from food and beverage applications to homecare, and even electronic goods. In addition to the Diamond Award winner, 35 other inspiring projects were recognized: nine Diamond finalist winners, 13 Gold awards and 13 Silver recipients.
“Dow and the packaging industry have very ambitious goals to stop the waste, close the loop and protect the climate. Looking at the submissions for the awards this year, we are absolutely heading in the right direction. There is a robust focus on designing for recyclability, which starts the virtuous cycle that enables brands and consumers to play their part in creating a circular economy. It is also good to see the attention to resource efficiency and safer materials,” said Diego Donoso, president, Dow Packaging & Specialty Plastics. “My appreciation to all participants and the organizing team for an engaging and energizing award event.”
The awards experience
“What made the 2021 Packaging Innovation Awards particularly exciting was meeting face to face, which enabled the judges to engage in lively discussions with an extra layer of eagerness and enthusiasm,” said lead judge David Luttenberger, global packaging director for Mintel Group, Ltd. “With these entries I’ve seen how we are entering a new phase, or next generation, of sustainable solutions, which I like to call responsible solutions. Because responsibility carries with it a sort of intuitiveness. And we have seen it this year, especially with the Diamond winner creating a solution with the consumer’s actionability in mind.”
The full list of winners includes:
- Brookfarm’s curbside recyclable, high barrier stand-up pouch by O F Packaging
- Pumpless handwash packaging by ITC Limited
- Mavuno Bora hermetic bags by Packaging Industries Limited
- Colgate Elixir by Colgate-Palmolive
- McDonald's Sundae cup and lid by Huhtamaki
- Recyclable CanCollar® for canned beverages by WestRock
- Hand sanitizer sachet by T.H.E.M
- Kleenex® collective packaging by Kimberly-Clark de Mexico
- Recyclable and plastic-free toothbrush packaging by GSK, by WestRock
- Smarties recyclable paper packaging by Nestlé
Gold Award Winners
- Low carbon green packaging technology mailing box by Boxtalk
- SBP Dupla Ação swivel cap by Reckitt Benckiser
- Recyclable polyethylene stand-up pouch by Microplast-Coldeplast
- Three-dimensional molded pouch by Toyo Seikan Co., Ltd.
- Veja Power Nature by Reckitt Benckiser
- Laser engraved recycled water bottle by VALGROUP & DANONE
- Circular economy pouch packaging for Zero Co. by O F Packaging
- Universal electronics blister packaging for remote controls by STI Group
- SAMBAZON açaí bowl packaging by Fuseneo, Inc.
- AmLite heatflex recyclable retort pouch by Amcor
- Recyclable paper functional barrier packaging for food by Mondi
- Recyclable blister film for pharmaceuticals by Kp
- Recyclable yerba maté SALUS packaging by Molinos Rio de la Plata
Silver Award Winners
- Compostable wax pods for cleaning concentrates by etee
- Inflatable insulated protective packaging by YompBox
- Plasma barrier for agrochemicals packaging by UNIPAC
- Recyclable toothpaste tube by Colgate-Palmolive
- Natrellis® dual ovenable fiber packaging by Sonoco Products Company
- NetRoll® REC60 industrial stretch film by HIPAC SPA
- Nescafé Protect Proslim™ recyclable alu-foil free instant coffee stick by Huhtamaki
- flatBowl sugarcane food packaging by Foldesign.co
- Garnier Men’s Shampoo Color sachet by L’Oreal
- Recycled PP ‘Green Bags’ by Texplast Industries Limited
- EcoLamHighPlus PE laminate with high barriers by Constantia
- ProActive Recyclable® paper mailer with water resistance by ProAmpac
- Recyclable polyethylene pouches by Constantia Flexibles India
A replay of the 2021 live awards ceremony can be found here. For more information and images of each winning entry, please visit www.DowPackagingAwards.com.
The awards continue to recognize world-class packaging solutions that demonstrate technological advancement, responsible packaging, and enhanced user experience. We encourage everyone in the industry to participate in the 2022 Packaging Innovation Awards program. More information will be posted on www.DowPackagingAwards.com and on @DowPackaging on Twitter and Dow Packaging & Specialty Plastics on LinkedIn.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth; asset integration and scale; focused innovation and materials science expertise; leading business positions; and environmental, social and governance (ESG) leadership to achieve profitable growth and deliver a sustainable future. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company in the world. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated, science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer applications. Dow operates 104 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $55 billion in 2021. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
For further information, please contact:
+41 (0)44 728 2154