Senior Chemist - Performance Monomers
Deer Park, Texas, United States
Dow has an opening for a Senior Chemist within Performance Monomers. This position is located in Deer Park, TX. The Senior Chemist is responsible for running laboratory programs designed to improve operations and add value to existing major monomer manufacturing assets. The Senior Chemist leads or participates in cross functional teams in new manufacturing process development, process technology improvement, process troubleshooting, and new polymerization inhibitor technology development projects designed to maximize the return of monomer manufacturing plants. In addition, the Senior Chemist collaborates closely with Performance Monomers Technology Center and Manufacturing run plant staff to understand potential areas for improvement of our manufacturing processes and generates projects in the R&D portfolio to address those needs. The individual will act as a resource to Technology and Production on all core manufacturing and polymer prevention technologies. The Senior Chemist also acts as a resource to Business R&D and internal downstream customers on (meth)acrylic monomer performance and develops an in-depth knowledge of competitor activity and the Intellectual Property (IP) landscape around these.
Promotes and maintains a safe workplace environment.
- Responsible for the execution of laboratory programs designed to meet technology and financial goals specified in the Performance Monomers R&D Playbook.
- Supervise and/or execute as needed the design, build and operation of continuous laboratory distillation columns and reactors needed for Monomer Process Development and/or Process Improvement.
- Designs, builds and operates static or continuous testing equipment including but not limited to standard monomer stability testing apparatus, batch and/or continuous laboratory scale reactors, distillation columns, and other related laboratory scale equipment as needed to model polymerization events in monomer manufacturing processes and/or develop polymerization prevention strategies.
- Designs and executes all technical elements of process development and/or polymerization inhibitor technology development projects, including project portfolio proposal, design and implementation of an experimental program, data analysis and interpretation, documentation and presentation of results to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Develops technical strategies and timelines to achieve project objectives.
- Work at the bench as appropriate to meet project objectives.
- Manage the work of laboratory personnel as appropriate to meet project objectives.
- Proactively seeks to innovate and seed the Technology portfolio with project ideas that lead to new and/or improved monomer manufacturing processes, reduced losses due to process fouling, improved monomer quality, reduced monomer manufacturing process costs and/or give the Performance Monomers Business competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Serves as a resource to internal and external customers on product quality issues in area of responsibility.
- Strengthens core technologies and develops new technologies.
- Develops project plans that are aligned with objectives and timing for business success.
- Serves as a resource to internal and external customers on (meth)acrylate process chemistries as well as polymerization prevention and other in-process and product polymerization inhibitor issues.
- Supports raw material as well as polymerization inhibitor supplier change/qualification process by conducting testing, evaluating data and coordinating with other departments to ensure uninterrupted manufacturing operations.
- Collaborates closely with Technology Center and Manufacturing run plant personnel to develop an in-depth knowledge of major monomer manufacturing processes.
- Mentors technologists and other scientists as needed in process chemistries in his/her areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrates sound strategic thinking and understands external forces that influence monomer technology and project areas of responsibility.
- Understands and is able to articulate the financial models and other underlying financial justification of current and future projects.
- Aggressively documents work progress in formal research reports, stakeholder presentations and other communications as appropriate.
- Conducts regular searches of the scientific and patent literature to monitor and understand state of the art technology in areas of responsibility.
- Aggressively seeks opportunities to innovate and expand the business Intellectual Property footprint.
- Effectively presents work in both written and verbal form.
- Assumes leadership roles in problem solving efforts and/or group tasks.
- Works well in interdisciplinary teams. Networks effectively.
A Ph.D. in Organic or Physical Organic Chemistry is required
Skilled in the operation of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) instrumentation
Demonstrated expertise in free radical chemistry
Demonstrated experience in elucidating complex reaction mechanisms in manufacturing processes
A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- 10 years of experience in a Process Chemistry/Technology Support role
- Experienced in laboratory testing of reactive systems, laboratory scale reactor and distillation column design, construction, and operation.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines one of the broadest technology sets in the industry with asset integration, focused innovation and global scale to achieve profitable growth and become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company. Dow’s portfolio of performance materials, industrial intermediates and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for our customers in high-growth segments, such as packaging, infrastructure and consumer care. Dow operates 113 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 37,000 people. Dow delivered pro forma sales of approximately $50 billion in 2018. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
Employee stock ownership - and the commitment to long-term success that it brings
On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us, you may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.