Active U.S. employees, retirees and family members enrolled in the U.S. MAP Plus Option 1 Low Deductible or MAP Plus Option 2 High Deductible benefit plans (e.g., Aetna) are eligible for coverage of tobacco cessation expenses. This page provimation to hdes inforelp you and your family members take advantage of this medical plan benefit.
Eligible expenses for tobacco cessation payable at 100% include:
- Individual or group consultation
- Support Group
- Nicotine Replacement (e.g. gum, patch)
- Class or Workshop
- Approved prescription medications (e.g., Zyban, Chantix and generic equivalents)*
Activities focused on quitting smoking cigarettes, cigars and chewing tobacco are all eligible for reimbursement under this program. The reimbursement program does NOT cover:
- Alternative therapies such as acupuncture or hypnosis
- Unproven tobacco cessation programs or products
There are many different methods advertised to help people quit tobacco. (Learn more about common tobacco cessation methods.) If you are unsure if the program or medication you want to use for tobacco cessation is covered, please contact Aetna at 1-888-488-4488 first.*
*Please note that the prescription medications for tobacco use are covered under Dow’s MEDICAL plan, not the pharmacy plan. You will need to talk with an Aetna Member Service representative if you have questions about any tobacco cessation coverage.
- For telephone counseling, use our quitline provided by the American Cancer Society “ACS Quit for Life” at 866.quit.4.life ( 866-784-8454) or https://www.quitnow.net/ (note: Dow quitline participants will not have to pay out-of-pocket for associated counseling or nicotine replacement therapy expenses)
- For local resources in the U.S., call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669/TTY 1-800-332-8615). This toll-free telephone number connects you to counseling and information about quitting smoking in your state.
Are there any special requirements to participate?
Any Dow MAP Plus Option 1 or MAP Plus Option 2 plan member wanting to quit using tobacco can take advantage of the tobacco cessation coverage.
What is the coverage amount?
Coverage is at 100% with no annual maximum.
How do I take advantage of the tobacco cessation benefit?
- Purchase products and/or participate in an eligible program and get an itemized, dated receipt.
- Upon completion of the program/activity, complete the “To be completed by the employee/retiree” section of the Aetna Medical Claim Form and attach your receipt(s). To improve the ease of processing, we also recommend that you include a cover letter requesting reimbursement for tobacco cessation expenses.
- Mail the form to the AETNA claim office:
PO Box 981106
El Paso, TX 79998-1106
How will I receive my reimbursement?
The tobacco reimbursements are processed the same way as any other health care claim. After your claim is processed and approved, you will receive a payment directly from Aetna.
What is the deadline to submit my reimbursement request?
Similar to other health care claims, you must submit your reimbursement request by the end of the year following the year of service/purchase. For example, a claim incurred in February, 2018 must be submitted by December, 2019.
What if my site/function also offers a Health & Fitness Reimbursement Program?
For tobacco expenses, any Dow MAP Plus Option 1 Low Deductible or MAP Plus Option 2 High Deductible plan participant who wants to quit using tobacco is eligible for a reimbursement through Aetna and must use this process. Employees who do not participate in an Aetna Plan can use the site program for any eligible tobacco management expenses.