2025 Sustainability Goals: Valuing Nature
Dow applies a business-decision process that values nature, which will deliver business value and natural capital value through projects that are good for the Company and better for ecosystems.
Too frequently taken for granted, nature provides a variety of valuable services – such as clean air, clean water, healthy soil and functional ecosystems – to individuals, communities and businesses. These benefits, however, are complex and can be difficult to quantify. At Dow, we’re committed to making business decisions in a way that appreciates and incorporates the value of nature’s services.
Valuing nature can produce opportunities and drive innovation. It’s a new “win-win” way of business thinking that Dow is leading today. If companies understand and value the benefits nature provides to their bottom line, they will be more likely to plan, manage and invest in these resources in smarter, more productive and mutually beneficial ways. That’s why Dow applies a business decision process that values nature. Dow will deliver business value and natural capital value through projects that are good for the company and good for ecosystems.
Considering nature in decision-making across a global business on the scale of the 2025 Sustainability Goals has never been done before. This Goal will create new value for Dow and society by helping to sustain nature. With specialized tools, Dow and other businesses around the world can incorporate the value of nature into their business processes, strategies and decisions. By 2025, Dow, working with partners, will implement three additional projects located at Dow manufacturing sites or directly impacting Dow businesses.
Measuring our Progress
Dow will identify and implement business-driven project alternatives that will best enhance nature and deliver $1 billion in net present value.
- By 2025, Dow will deliver $1 billion in NPV through business-driven projects that enhance nature.
- By 2020, screen all capital and real estate project, business development and new products for potential benefit and impacts.
While we recognize there is still work to do, Dow has already made progress incorporating nature into the Company’s strategic decisions.
- Dow has achieved a total of $160 million toward its goal of creating $1 billion by 2025 for the Company by valuing nature in business decisions.
- The ESII tool, developed with The Nature Conservancy and Ecometrix Solutions Group, assesses ecosystem services rapidly and cost-effectively in order to identify and incorporate the value of nature into business decision making.
- Dow collaborated with the EU and industrial neighbors to improve our cooling processes in Camp de Tarragona, Spain, by using treated waste water from the local municipality instead of water from the sensitive Ebro River.
- The conversion of a former coal ash landfill in Midland, Michigan, into a functional habitat saves the company money and provides critical ecosystem services to the site and the downtown Midland area.