Dow WE Are Innovators
Dow and WE launch 2018/2019 school year WE Are Innovators Campaign
MIDLAND, Mich. - October 01, 2018 -
The Dow Chemical Company (Dow) and WE are proud to team up to launch the second annual WE Are Innovators Campaign. WE Are Innovators challenges students and teachers to use STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) to develop solutions to solve some of the world’s most pressing issues, empowering youth to be part of a global community working towards sustainable change.
Whether it is helping people gain access to healthy fresh food or driving efforts to protect the environment from plastic waste, Dow and WE will help students unlock the power of science and technology to innovate a sustainable solution in their own community or overseas.
Delivered through WE Schools, WE’s free service-learning program, WE Are Innovators offers students and teachers the following educational tools and resources to help create an innovative solution project:
- Curriculum Modules: Teachers will gain free access to curriculum modules focused on relevant themes including Sustainable Innovation, Circular Economy and Nature, Food Waste, Energy and Housing, and Transportation Solutions.
- Challenge: Following these modules, students have an opportunity to connect with a specific theme, identify an aligned issue in their community and work with their teachers to innovate a solution through the WE Are Innovators Challenge.
- Service-Learning: Challenge participants will have an opportunity to submit their solutions for a chance to win a financial grant awarded to their school or an opportunity to experience a ME to WE immersive volunteer trip to Kenya sponsored by Dow. Check out our last cohort of winner’s trip to Ecuador.
- Support: Dow’s STEM Ambassadors will be deployed to act as sponsors of the program in participating schools – offering hands on training and mentorship throughout the Campaign.
WE Are Innovators is open to all youth globally from Grade 4 and up, with the ME to WE immersive service trip available for high school students only.
“We believe that every young person has the ability to be an innovator and change the world by combining the power of STEM skills, a spirit of inclusion, a commitment to sustainability, and the willingness to volunteer their time through service,” said Rob Vallentine, president of The Dow Chemical Company Foundation, director of Dow Global Citizenship and North America Public Affairs. “We are proud to partner with WE to show students that they don’t have to wait until they become a chemist or an operator to address global and local challenges-they can innovate to drive change right now.”
“We are so excited to partner with Dow to engage young people across America and beyond to harness the power of STEM to create sustainable change,” said Erin Barton, chief development officer, WE. “By identifying pressing issues and developing innovative solutions these young leaders become part of a growing community working towards sustainable global change.”
Last year, students who participated developed technology to address the Flint water crisis, as well as a fresh fruit slicer to prevent food waste and encourage healthy eating. Check out this video to learn more.
Additional components of the WE Are Innovators Campaign include:
- WE Day UN: Last week WE hosted tens of thousands students, teachers and supporters at Barclay’s Center in New York to encourage youth to take action in support of the UN Sustainability Development Goals. Dow was a presenting supporter of the event. This year, Browyn McCoy from Midland High School in Mi.and Dalyn Turner from Math Science Academy West High School Plaquemine, La. joined Dow colleagues on stage to share their life changing experiences as ME to WE service trip winners as a result of their innovative solutions submitted to the WE Are Innovators Challenge.
- WE Families: As part of the campaign, Dow employees will have the chance to engage with their children on a service project, which is great support of our Engaging Employees, Customers and Communities for Impact 2025 Goal.
- WE Events in Dow Communities: To celebrate the service of youth and families in Dow communities, events will be held in key locations in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Louisiana and Texas.
The Dow Chemical Company (Dow) combines science and technology knowledge to develop premier materials science solutions that are essential to human progress. Dow has one of the strongest and broadest toolkits in the industry, with robust technology, asset integration, scale and competitive capabilities that enable it to address complex global issues. Dow’s market-driven, industry-leading portfolio of advanced materials, industrial intermediates, and plastics businesses deliver a broad range of differentiated technology-based products and solutions for customers in high-growth markets such as packaging, infrastructure, and consumer care. Dow is a subsidiary of DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP), a holding company comprised of Dow and DuPont with the intent to form three strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty sectors. More information can be found at www.dow.com
WE is a family of organizations that makes doing good, doable. WE is made up of WE Charity, empowering domestic and international change, ME to WE, a social enterprise that creates socially conscious products and experiences to help support the charity, and WE Day, filling stadiums around the world with the greatest celebration of social good. WE enables youth and families to better the world – supporting 2,500+ local and global causes by volunteering millions of hours of service, shopping daily with an impact, and raising millions of dollars that directly benefit their local communities and the world. Globally, our teams in Asia, Africa, and Latin America have provided more than 1 million people with clean water, built 1,000 schools and schoolrooms overseas, and empowered more than 200,000 children with access to education. WE was founded more than 20 years ago by social entrepreneurs, brothers Craig and Marc Kielburger. Join the movement today at WE.org.