Dow Celebrating the Importance of Manufacturing and Manufacturing Careers through Variety of U.S. Events
Dow Participating in National Association of Manufacturers “Manufacturing Day”
MIDLAND, Mich. - October 04, 2018 - The Dow Chemical Company (Dow) is proud to join the National Association of Manufacturers and the Manufacturing Institute in celebrating Manufacturing Day 2018. Manufacturing Day gives manufacturers the opportunity to celebrate and share the importance of manufacturing to our communities and students.
Dow is proud to join with manufacturers around the country to highlight opportunities for careers in manufacturing, demonstrate how technology has changed industry, and to thank the communities that have supported its operations.
“Manufacturing has always been at the heart of Dow’s success, and while our processes have advanced greatly, the importance of our manufacturing teams has only grown,” said Jim Fitterling, CEO of Dow. “We’re proud to share this manufacturing heritage with our communities and to demonstrate how STEM-based programs and apprenticeships help fuel our strong workforce needs.”
In celebration of Manufacturing Day, Dow is hosting or sponsoring the following events across the U.S.:
- September 5 – Midland, Michigan: Dow hosted Jay Timmons of NAM and Carolyn Lee of the Manufacturing Institute for an engaging employee town hall to discuss the state of U.S. manufacturing.
- September 29 – Freeport, Texas: STEM Ambassadors and U.S. Apprenticeship Program participants from Dow’s Texas Operations were on site at the Brazosport College: BC Block Party & 50th Community Celebration to promote manufacturing and provide information on skilled trades and other manufacturing jobs.
- October 4 – Detroit, Michigan: Dow is co-hosting this Manufacturing Day Signature Event with the National Association of Manufacturers, Cooper Standard, and Mitch Albom at the S.A.Y. Detroit Play Center. The event will feature speakers and hands-on demonstration stations focused on manufacturing skills.
- October 5 – South Charleston, West Virginia: Dow representatives including apprentices from Dow’s U.S. Apprenticeship Program will be on site at BridgeValley Community and Technical College to promote manufacturing and provide information on skilled trades and other manufacturing jobs.
- October 5 – Pittsburg, California: Dow Pittsburg Operations and the Pittsburg Chamber of Commerce are proud to be partnering with the Contra Costa County office of Education East Bay Earn & Learn in organizing a county-wide celebration. Dow partners with Los Medanos College PTEC and ETEC Programs to develop highly skilled technical workers with the right capabilities to fill those high-growth jobs for America’s future. This program includes on-the-job training, partnered with a robust classroom curriculum to provide you with all of the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge to become a certified technician.
- October 5-December 15 – Port Lavaca, Texas: Several Career Fairs will be held during this time. Students, Counselors and Faculty will attend presentations outlining technical jobs available within our company and what competencies are important to be successful in these job roles. Also tour the hands-on labs available at the college to see how a technical role would engage in daily activities at the site.
- October 12-13 – Delta College (MI): Dow is a proud sponsor of the 2018 Great Lakes Bay Regional STEM Festival at Delta College. This annual event attracts thousands of students to experience STEM in a hands-on and informal environment.
- October 17 – St. Charles, Louisiana: In partnership with the Grow Louisiana Coalition and the Louisiana Chemical Association, the event will bring together industry workers, families and supporters of the River Parishes to put a face to the industry and celebrate the important footprint industry has in the area. St. Charles Parish School Superintendent Felecia Gomez-Walker is slated to be a featured speaker at the event and will speak to how the industry has impacted the school system in the parish.
- October 30 – Bristol, Pennsylvania: Dow Chemical operators and engineers will speak to local high school engineering students and faculty on the professional and technical job roles required to run a manufacturing facility. Tours of the facilities in Bristol and Croydon will be given.
- Month of October – Plaquemine, Louisiana: Dow STEM Ambassadors will be visiting 11 strategic local schools showcasing Dow apprentices to promote manufacturing careers, with a focus on diversity and inclusion.
The Dow Chemical Company (Dow) combines science and technology knowledge to develop premier materials science solutions that are essential to human progress. Dow has one of the strongest and broadest toolkits in the industry, with robust technology, asset integration, scale and competitive capabilities that enable it to address complex global issues. Dow’s market-driven, industry-leading portfolio of advanced materials, industrial intermediates, and plastics businesses deliver a broad range of differentiated technology-based products and solutions for customers in high-growth markets such as packaging, infrastructure, and consumer care. Dow is a subsidiary of DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP), a holding company comprised of Dow and DuPont with the intent to form three strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty sectors. More information can be found at www.dow.com.
For further information, please contact: