Dow Energy Efficiency Innovations Green Technology China
Engagement Aligns to Leading the Blueprint 2025 Sustainability Goal
MIDLAND, Mich. - November 22, 2016 - Multiple technologies from The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW) have been recommended for use in projects supported by the U.S.-China Building Efficiency and Green Development Fund. The Fund is a public-private partnership convened by the Paulson Institute that provides financing to bring innovative technologies from the United States to China in an effort to reduce building-energy emissions.
As a leader in innovation to address global challenges, Dow’s products will play an instrumental role in assisting the overall goal of bridging green technology implementation and affordability in China. The Company has been committed to helping China achieve its climate change targets since the intent to launch the Fund was announced in September 2014. Additionally, Dow serves as one of the core members of the Paulson Institute’s CEO Council for Sustainable Urbanization.
“We want to help power China’s transformation into a truly sustainability-driven economy,” said Andrew Liveris, chairman and chief executive officer of Dow. “The collaborative effort led by the Paulson Institute to provide green technologies to the Chinese marketplace has taken impressive steps forward since the intent to launch was signed. We’re proud to be able to contribute our expertise to advance sustainable development in the region.”
The first milestone of the Fund was reached with the completion of a technology assessment that identified proven, high performance building technologies to be recommended for use in subsequent projects. Two cities in China signed letters of intent in June to establish infrastructure for investment in five construction projects in which recognized innovations will be utilized. Dow earned multiple acknowledgements that included technologies from multiple business units including Dow Building Solutions, Dow Construction Chemicals, Dow Polyurethanes, Dow Elastomers and Dow Coating Materials.
Dow’s engagement with the Fund is aligned to the Company’s Leading the Blueprint 2025 Sustainability Goal, a pledge to collaborate with stakeholders at all levels to facilitate the transition to a sustainable planet and society. As China accounts for approximately 50 percent of all new construction in the world for the foreseeable future, Dow is working alongside governments and U.S. and Chinese companies to ensure that sustainability is considered at the design phase of building development.
“Courageous collaboration is a key tenet of Dow’s 2025 Sustainability Goals,” said Neil Hawkins, chief sustainability officer and corporate vice president for Environment, Health and Safety at Dow. “The Fund is a natural fit with Dow’s goals to help address climate change and to foster local protection of health and the environment in the places we do business. In this market especially, building efficiency is a very important part of China’s effort to have a significant global impact on climate change and reduce emissions for its own citizens.”
Involvement with the Fund and the China State Construction Engineering Corporation has provided Dow opportunities to build relationships and gain recognition in the Chinese marketplace. Collaboration with the Paulson Institute and the China State Construction Engineering Corporation, through participation in the CEO Council for Sustainable Urbanization, offers the Company an important opportunity to help China fulfill its climate commitments and achieve its urbanization goals in more sustainable ways.
“Countries like China have impressive new construction and climate goals, but the building codes, proven technologies and market awareness of total-cost-of-ownership are not aligned to balance both,” said Jane Palmieri, business president, Dow Building & Construction. “It is incumbent upon proven public and private market leaders to share expertise, time and solutions with growth markets to develop these capabilities – especially building codes, which essentially draft the blueprint for generations of sustainable development. With 40 percent of global carbon emissions coming from buildings, it’s clear that building technology adoption should be the first priority in helping China achieve its ambitious climate goals.”
Dow solutions in the Fund’s recommended technologies include:
Dow Building Solutions
- FROTH-PAK™ Foam Sealant is a two-component, quick-cure polyurethane foam used to fill cavities, penetrations, cracks and expansion joints.
- LIQUIDARMOR™ CM Flashing and Sealant is a patented, liquid-applied barrier against water and air to effectively seal seams between insulation boards and building fenestrations, improving the energy efficiency of buildings by ~30 percent.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) Insulation is able to insulate while meeting core thermal, moisture, air and vapor performance requirements due to its durability and longevity, saving over 30 times the energy embodied in it.
Dow Construction Chemicals
- AQUASET™ is a high performance nonwoven binder that provides maximum adhesion and superior resiliency in applications such as roof shingle mats, specialty mats and building insulation.
- ECOGROUND™ is an eco-friendly, waterborne acrylic binder for running tracks and other sports surfaces.
- VERDISEAL™ is a waterproofing system consisting of a primer, elastomeric membrane and robust wear-coat used for applications like green roofs, exposed or covered parking decks, and inverted roofs.
- WALOCEL™ is a best-in-class cellulose ether additive designed for cement-based applications and extrusion of fiber cement.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation is widely used for thermal insulation on both interior and exterior walls and roofs of all kinds of building providing thermal insulation, compressive strength and moisture resistance.
- Polyurethane Flexed-Faced Insulation Board is widely used for wall insulation on residential buildings providing thermal insulation, compressive strength and moisture resistance.
- Polyurethane Metal Panels are rigid-faced insulation boards widely used for wall insulation on cold storage and industrial buildings providing excellent thermal insulation, compressive strength and moisture resistance.
- Polyurethane Pipe Insulation is widely used in pre-insulated pipe for district heating, district cooling, oil & gas and cryogenic applications.
- ENGAGE™ Polyolefin Elastomers and INFUSE™ Olefin Block Copolymers are used in carpet-backing technology enabling carpet that is PVC-free, phthalate-free, recyclable and allows for the addition of post-consumer recycle material
- VERSIFY™ Plastomers and Elastomers and INFUSE™ Olefin Block Copolymers are used in the production of TPO-based single ply roofing systems for low slope roofing to reduce urban heat effects and provide energy savings.
Dow Coating Materials
- PRIMAL™ Binder is a highly flexible water-based acrylic emulsion binder.
- FORMASHIELD™ technology removes formaldehyde from indoor air.
- Stain Resistance technology keeps a long lasting decorative effect.
- Multicolor solutions for exterior walls provide consistent marble effect with sustainability in mind.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from material, polymer, chemical and biological science to help address many of the world's most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, clean energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow's integrated, market-driven, industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 180 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, electronics, water, coatings and agriculture. In 2015, Dow had annual sales of nearly $49 billion and employed approximately 49,000 people worldwide. The Company's more than 6,000 product families are manufactured at 179 sites in 35 countries across the globe. On June 1, 2016, Dow became the 100 percent owner of Dow Corning Corporation’s silicones business, a global company with sales of greater than $4.5 billion in 2015, 25 manufacturing sites in 9 countries and approximately 10,000 employees worldwide. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
For further information, please contact:
The Dow Chemical Company