Dow 2016 Rd 100 Awards
Company lauded for product innovations in transportation, packaging, electronics, and agro science, among others
MIDLAND, Mich. - November 04, 2016 - The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW) received seven prestigious R&D 100 Awards from R&D Magazine for revolutionary technologies recently introduced to the market. The awards, often referred to as the "Oscars of Invention," were revealed at the 54th Annual R&D 100 Awards and Technology Conference on November 3 in Washington, D.C.
“We have a long history of delivering products that solve the world’s toughest challenges and for having those products recognized by the R&D 100 Awards, with 20 of these awards in the past three years,” said A.N. Sreeram, senior R&D vice president and chief technology officer. “We continue to push technology to the next level, providing market-driven, sustainable solutions that address the world’s needs in energy, food, water, transportation, infrastructure, and more. The R&D 100 Awards allow us to pause from our hard work to receive a moment of praise from experts in innovation for the products we bring to market each year.”
The 2016 R&D 100 award-winning Dow technologies are:
- BETAFORCE™ 2817 Structural Adhesive joins composites and other dissimilar materials enabling innovative lightweight vehicle designs.
- CANVERA™ Polyolefin Dispersions provides progressive food and beverage brand owners with the next long-term can coating alternative that eliminates materials traditionally found in epoxy or alternative coating systems which are of concern for many consumers.
- Dow Corning ® TC-3040 Thermal Gel delivers a silicone-based thermal management solution for advanced semiconductor devices. It improves heat dissipation capability in high performance computing applications using a new proprietary filler technology.
- Flexible Acrylic Resin (FAR) is a blendable polymer for injection molding, extrusion, calendering or film-blowing in applications requiring low stress whitening, flexibility, UV resistance, and excellent ink and paint adhesion.
- Paradigm™ WG Herbicide with Arylex™ Active is a novel herbicide with a broadened spectrum of hard-to-control weeds in cereal crops such as wheat and barley. It combines several chemistries with Dow AgroSciences’ GoDri™ formulation that disperses rapidly and completely when diluted to enable faster, easier applications.
- CANVERA™ Polyolefin Dispersions also won a special recognition award for market disruptor products.
- Dow AGILITY™ Performance LDPE also won in the special recognition – market disruptor category. It is designed for high speed low gauge processing. With enhanced and globally available process technology, AGILITY™ addresses the most stringent industry requirements, offering a suitable substitute to extrusion coating materials.
This year marks five straight years of Dow products appearing on the R&D 100 list. The Dow name now appears more than 100 times in the R&D 100s. Read more about our 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 innovations.
Since 1963, the R&D 100 Awards have identified revolutionary technologies newly introduced to the market. Widely recognized as the “Oscars of Invention,” the R&D 100 Awards identify and celebrate the top technology products and services of the year. Past winners have included sophisticated testing equipment, innovative new materials, chemistry breakthroughs, biomedical products, consumer items, and renewable energy. In 2015, the program was expanded to include a two-day conference focusing on high-level insights and discussion on the topics most relevant to R&D professionals working in today’s pioneering engineering and laboratory settings.
For more information about Dow’s innovation engine and this year’s full list of 2016 Dow Winners and Finalists, visit Science and Sustainability.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from material, polymer, chemical and biological science to help address many of the world's most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, clean energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow's integrated, market-driven, industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 180 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, electronics, water, coatings and agriculture. In 2015, Dow had annual sales of nearly $49 billion and employed approximately 49,000 people worldwide. The Company's more than 6,000 product families are manufactured at 179 sites in 35 countries across the globe. On June 1, 2016, Dow became the 100 percent owner of Dow Corning Corporation’s silicones business, a global company with sales of greater than $4.5 billion in 2015, 25 manufacturing sites in 9 countries and approximately 10,000 employees worldwide. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
About R&D Magazine
Since its founding in 1959 as Industrial Research, R&D Magazine has served research scientists, engineers and technical staff at laboratories around the world, providing timely, informative news and useful technical articles that broaden readers’ knowledge of the research and development industry and improve the quality of their work. R&D Magazine is a publication of Advantage Business Media.