Dow has an exciting part-time cooperative education job opportunity available in Midland, MI. This position is open to qualified and highly-committed college students enrolled in a fully accredited college or university located very close to the Midland Dow site. Unlike a short-term internship project outside of school terms, this particular role is a long-term, year-round, undergraduate student position -- at least one full year in duration -- while the student is simultaneously taking classes toward an undergraduate degree. This opportunity offers the student valuable professional work experience in a dynamic, multi-national corporation interfacing with colleagues and leaders in many different roles. This program is designed for academically successful students who meet ALL of the specific job and co-op program requirements listed below and who can simultaneously succeed both in school and in a professional work environment.
This position of a Student Security Officer within the Emergency Services & Security (ES&S) department exists to provide security and process the flow of personnel and materials at the gate locations of the Midland area corporate, manufacturing and research locations.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Performing vehicle inspections
- Effective, professional and helpful communication and conduct with employees, customers, suppliers, etc.
- Enforcement of security procedures
- Documentation for visitors and materials in and out of Dow facilities
- Monitoring/operation security and access control systems, security alarms, badge programming/creation, camera operations, and tracking system for shipping of dry and bulk materials.
REQUIRED & PREFERRED
- Must be pursuing an undergrad degree from a fully accredited college or university near the Dow Midland, MI site.
- A major in criminal justice or fire science is preferred but not required.
- During vehicle inspections, the student must be able to climb in and out of vehicles, including semi-trucks.
- Depending on the shift that is available, there is a potential to work a shift other than a day shift.
- The student will periodically need to operate a vehicle during their assignment; therefore, a valid driver's license and safe driving is required.
- During winter months, salting and shoveling the sidewalks are also required. - Candidates must have good interpersonal skills.
- Candidates must be able to multitask during emergency and normal operational situations and have the ability to change priorities as needed.
- Teamwork and cooperation are essential, as well as taking independent initiative on things that need to be done.
- Candidates must be knowledgeable with computers and Microsoft applications, especially using Word, Excel and Outlook.
Critical Requirements of the Local Student Co-Op Program
- High school diploma/GED and already enrolled at an accredited college or university located close to the Midland Dow site, pursuing an undergraduate degree.
- Successfully complete a minimum of 6 credit hours per term during both the Fall and Winter terms (~Sept-Apr).
- Seeking high performing student with strong GPAs of 3.000+; however, a minimum 2.700+ term and cumulative GPA on a 4.000 scale is required at ALL times – both to enter and to continue working in the Dow co-op program. Attach a screen capture from your school’s website or a copy of your most recent transcripts/grade report showing classes and recent GPAs to this application. Eligibility to continue in this cooperative education program is checked every term.
- Able to begin work very soon, usually within 3 weeks of the job offer, and work year-round at least 20 hours each week ONLY during our regular business hours (8am-5pm, Mon-Fri…max 8 hours/day and 30/week during school).
- Commit to the role for at least 1 full calendar year (BEFORE completing classes for your stated undergraduate degree or BEFORE transferring out of the area). Students available longer than one year before completing their degree program are preferred and advantaged.
- Reliable attendance and punctuality in commuting to work daily or at least 3 days a week; therefore, dependable transportation, dedication and time management skills are absolutely required.
- Registered/enrolled in their school's Cooperative Education Program before the first day at Dow and comply with the school’s policies/requirements, in addition to Dow's, for the duration of co-op employment.
- Any current Dow college co-ops wishing to transfer into this role must have been in their current role at least one full year, must have at least one full year left before graduating or transferring out of the area, and must have supervisor approval before applying to each Dow co-op job posting.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines one of the broadest technology sets in the industry with asset integration, focused innovation and global scale to achieve profitable growth and become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company. Dow’s portfolio of performance materials, industrial intermediates and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for our customers in high-growth segments, such as packaging, infrastructure and consumer care. Dow operates 113 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 37,000 people. Dow delivered pro forma sales of approximately $50 billion in 2018. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us or you may call us at 1-800-523-3945.