Date Posted: Mon, 14 Oct 2019
Position:: Hardware Discipline Technician
Schedule: Full time
Job Number: R2002139
Country: United States of America
City: Freeport (TX, USA)
The purpose of this position is to provide process control hardware support for the MOD5 and ABB control systems.
• Implements the actions to keep the reliability of the process control systems above 99.7% in close cooperation with the Plant Process Control Engineer/Technician.
• Leads the effort to diagnose and analyze the health of the process control systems in close cooperation with the Plant Process Control Engineer/Technician.
• Support the C-Distributed Control System (DCS) process automation control system and its peripheral devices.
• Locate and replace defective control system components, such as control system computers and I/O hardware, network routers/switches and server hardware components.
• Leads and/or participates in the installation and commissioning of process control systems.
• Manages the connecting of process control components/devices with wire, network or fiber optic cable.
• Perform software system build (installs all system software) on servers and clients.
• Assists process automation leader to resolve process automation issues.
• Provides knowledgeable process automation advice to plant personnel and others within site.
• Provide timely response and effective resolution to (problem or project) requests either by solving and/or escalating to the Engineering Solutions Tech Center or the vendor support line.
• Understanding when to escalate problems to the next level of support.
• Develop working knowledge of the process control hardware; Microsoft operating system; system applications; network; server & client software/hardware maintenance; preventive/predictive maintenance.
• Develop a complete overall understanding of the DCS process automation system and legacy Dow control system.
• Develop skills to navigate within the plant written applications to troubleshoot process control hardware problems.
• Requires an on-going or frequent presence, rapid response, and a need to have hands-on interaction with the local environment in order to provide the needed services.
• Expected to understand & follow all identified Engineering Solutions work processes.
• Under the direction of a Global Process Control subject matter expert, incumbent will initiate portions of software upgrades that cannot be done remotely.
• Preferred work schedules are 9-80/Alternating Friday Off or 5-8s.
**Dow does not offer relocation if the position is offered to someone who lives outside the area or reimbursement for travel to and from interviews. If you consider a position that is not within the area you reside you will be responsible for all cost that incur.**
• A minimum of 1 year of experience applying ABB Industrial Information Technology (IT) and/or Distributed Control Systems (DCS) or similar systems.
• A basic understanding of the Microsoft Windows operating system and the standard office software applications is required.
• A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
• Formal training or experience in process control, electrical or field instrumentation is preferred.
• A basic understanding of electronic circuit fundamentals and electronic troubleshooting is preferred.
• Familiar with Microsoft Excel
Must be willing and able to do the following with or without an accommodation.
• Wear safety equipment, such as earplugs, goggles, and steel-toed shoes with or without an accommodation.
• Work in tight or closed-in spaces.
• Climb stairs/ladders and work high off the ground.
• Stand or walk for extended periods of time.
• Must have a current, valid US driver’s license
• Lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
• A minimum of a High School Diploma or GED is required.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines one of the broadest technology sets in the industry with asset integration, focused innovation and global scale to achieve profitable growth and become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company. Dow’s portfolio of performance materials, industrial intermediates and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for our customers in high-growth segments, such as packaging, infrastructure and consumer care. Dow operates 113 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 37,000 people. Dow delivered pro forma sales of approximately $50 billion in 2018. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us or you may call us at 1-800-523-3945.